Sunday, June 8, 2008

Clinton steps out, keeps the spotlight.

Hillary Clinton finally announced that she was suspending her campaign. Most people saw it as a chance to mend ties and make sure that her avid supporters are lead into the Obama fold. She kept repeating that they should "elect Barack Obama the next president." Obviously she either realized, or caved to the party leaders, that she needed to thoroughly endorse him. Really she just spent most of the time blowing her own horn.

I'm not a sexist person, I never felt like Clinton didn't deserve to be the nominee. I just liked Obama better. Some people would say that the media gave the nomination to him, but in reality he won it fair and square. Michigan and Florida had violated the rules, and that should have been a non-issue. There were some people who obviously had issues with Hillary as a woman (read: Tucker Carlson), but I think that most Americans have no issue with a woman as a leader. Many would even welcome it.

That leads us back to the speach this weekend. Hillary was there to endorse Obama and thank her supporters, while carefully ending her campaign. She spent most of the time talking about how great it would be to have a woman president and how great she is. She managed to squeeze in a few things about Obama being the first black nominee, but from my computer, it was all about her. She was respectful of Obama, but she did little to try and sway the woman's groups that are refusing to support the Democratic nominee.

Then there is the VP debate. Is Hillary a help or a hinderance? I think in the situation that they have been through, she is easily both. She would bring with her a large group of rabid supporters that would do what she asks like people buying books from Oprah's list. On the other side, she has been a very devisive character and has burned many bridges with friends and collegues. It is not a thought to be taken lightly, and the Obama campaign has clearly said that he will take his time. There are plenty of potential VP's and they all have pluses and minuses.

At least now this chapter over. Potentially. I think we haven't heard the last of the sexism debate, but that it will fade away quickly as the focus drifts to the fall elections and the fight with McCain. It will be interesting to watch this play out. McCain has been trying to paint Iraq as a neccessary war on terrorism, while distancing himself from Bush and his policies. The recent disaster of the climate change bill in congress will hang a noose around some necks, and it will be up to the voters to decide in November if they should pull the rope.
...Read more

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My complaint is not with Clinton, while I refuse to support her for many reasons, my true frustration is with her supporters, at least a few of them. I heard a report on NPR about staunch, party line, blue bleeding Democratic women who plan to not simply refuse to vote, but to go out and vote for JOHN MCCAIN. This angers me to no end. These "democrats" are treating this nomination like it's the High School Homecoming Queen election instead of the next "leader of the free world." "Well I'm mad at him so I am gonna vote for the other guy just to get back at him," they seem to be saying. You're no longer a democrat when you think this way; you're no longer even someone of legal voting age. You have reverted to the tenth grade with such moronic petty behavior. I get that you are mad that your candidate did not win, I would be too. But if you have stood behind the party all these years how can you possibly dissent in such a crucial election? I would say the same thing to a staunch democrat supporter of Barack if Hilary had won. I however am not a staunch democrat. Prior to my knowledge of Obama I was totally opposed to voting in an Electoral College in which my vote would not count. After learning of what Obama offered (a politician who began has a volunteer, a poor boy who got the rare chance to live the American dream, a junior senator not steeped in years of lobbying and DC games) I threw support I never believed I had to him. I have always opposed Hilary Clinton, mainly due to censorship legislation she and her husband worked VERY hard to pass. Had Barack not won, I would not be voting in November. The exception is that I never claimed to be a democrat before; I still don't. And I would not be throwing my vote to the other guy out of spite, I would just not use it at all. The behavior of some of her supporters is appalling and unnerving. I hope they realize the stupid mistake they would be making in helping John McCain serve Bush's third term before it's too late.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, and Clinton should be doing something to put an end to such thinking.